These are some of the reasons why we think you would love Sa Cudia Cremada Field School in Menorca:
1. This is going to be our 3rd year conducting the excavation in the taula sanctuary at Sa Cudia Cremada, a type of Iron Age monumental religious building which is exclusive to Menorca…And you will have the chance to dig in this unique space!
2. In the previous years we have removed the most superficial levels as well as the tumble units, all of which means that 2017 campaign could start giving us more information about the period of abandonment of the building.
3. You will study both indigenous (from the Talayotic culture) and imported materials. The latter ones came through commerce from different areas in the Mediterranean, such as the island of Ibiza, the Spanish mainland, North of Africa and the Italian Peninsula, among others. Thus, you will learn about many of the artifacts which were in circulation around the Mediterranean in the Iron Age.
4. If you are interested in Mediterranean Archaeology, Prehistory and Ancient History, you will have the chance to explore different aspects related to them, including economy, religion, architecture and cultural influences and contacts.
5. As a student you won’t only dig in the field, but you will also learn how to plot materials on a plan and draw cross-sections and plans as well. You will also learn how to fill out recording sheets, take archaeological photographs and samples.
6. Our laboratory tasks do not only include washing and labelling finds, but also categorizing them. Also, several workshops on various topics will be available, such as pottery restoration, photogrammetry and finds drawing. And our lectures deal with important topics related to our dig and different related fields that are important to know about.
7. Because the island of Menorca is beautiful, safe and calm, and its Archaeology is just…AMAZING! During the course we will help you discovering it!
Join us in Sa Cudia Cremada Field School in September 2017! We have two sessions available and you can join us in one or the two of them! There are still spots!
Session #1: 4th to 15th of September.
Session #2: 18th to 29th of September.